Frequently Asked Questions

Other Questions or Concerns?

Please contact us at 208-745-6003.

Frequently Asked Questions Jefferson County Fire Department

Fire Protection Recommendations

(Q.) What are some things I can do to reduce the threat of fire to my home/property?
(A.) Create a defensible space around your home. Keep the immediate 30 foot area surrounding your homes/structures clean, lean, and green. Remove all dead leaves and branches, and keep trees, branches, and brush at least 10 feet away from all structures. Clear all cumbustible materials from beneath porches and decks. Clear roofs, eaves, and rain gutters of any dead leaves and pine needles. Remove any tree branches that may come in contact with power lines or that may be over a chimney. Have your chimney cleaned routinely by a professional. Keep all vegetation clear from fire hydrants. Make sure that emergency vehicles will be able to access your property in the event of an emergency. Locate all woodpiles and fuel storage tanks at least 30 feet from any structure. Have a disaster plan in case of emergency, and identify at least two escape routes from your property. Replace batteries in smoke detectors at least twice a year.

Burn Restrictions

(Q.) Are there times of the year when it is prohibited to burn?
(A.) Yes. Extreme weather conditions such as high wind or extreme dryness can pose a significant fire hazard. We require that you call the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office and notify them of any controlled burns within the Central Fire District. Additionally, the (BLM) Bureau of Land Management also has burn restrictions. Please check with the BLM directly for their regulations at or by calling 208-524-7500. Anytime you are perfoming a controlled burn, be sure there is someone in attendance at all times with a water supply and a cell phone in case the burn gets out of control.
(Q.) What types of things am I permitted to burn?
(A.) You are allowed to burn tree trimmings, grass clippings, and ditch banks.
(Q.) What types of things am I prohibited from burning?
(A.) It is illegal to burn paint, tires, pesticide containers, construction debris, dead animals, demolition debris, petroleum products, treated wood, metals, plastic, asphalt, and crop residue.
(Q.) When can I burn my farm ground?
(A.) This has become a Department of Environmental Quality issue. You must contact your local DEQ office. More information can be found by visiting the DEQ website or by calling 1-208-373-0502.

Burn Permits for Crop Residue

(Q.) When do I need a burn permit?
(A.) When doing any crop residue burning.
(Q.) How do I obtain a burn permit?
(A.) The DEQ website has all the information you need at
(Q.) How much does a burn permit cost?
(A.) The fee is $2.00 per acre.
(Q.) Can I have firefighters monitor my scheduled burn?
(A.) No. The fire department does not provide this service
(Q.) What happens if my permitted/unpermitted burn gets out of hand?
(A.) Call 911; the fire department will then be dispatched.

Station Tours and Site Visits

(Q.) How can I arrange a station tour for my organization?
(A.) The Central Fire District enjoys teaching fire safety to all age groups. Just call the main office at 208-745-6003 to make arrangements.
(Q.) How long does a station tour last?
(A.) It Depends upon the size of the group, but on an average it takes about an hour.
(Q.) What can we expect to do/learn during a station tour?
(A.) We will familiarize the group with fire equipment, trucks, and gear. We also teach proper fire safety, what to do in the event of an emergency, plus much more.
(Q.) Does it cost anything to have a station tour?
(A.) No. This is a public service we enjoy doing.
(Q.) How long does a typical on-site visit last?
(A.) On average, an onsite tour lasts about an hour.
(Q.) How can I arrange for an on-site visit from the Central Fire District?
(A.) We do on site visits when possible. Since we are a volunteer department it depends upon our firefighter’s schedules.
(Q.) Does it cost anything to have an on-site visit?
(A.) No.

Toxic Spills

(Q.) What constitutes a toxic spill and who do I notify in the event one happens?
(A.) When in doubt, call 911!

Infant Car Seats

(Q.) Does the Central Fire District provide infant car seat inspections?
(A.) No. Please consult the web site for Idaho State regulations for car seat safety at You may also consult your insurance company regarding their individual policy regarding replacement reimbursements after an accident.

Building Inspections

(Q.) Who do I contact for building inspections?

(A.) You may contact either:

Rigby City Office
158 West Fremont
Rigby, ID 83442
Phone (208) 745-8111 x16
Fax (208) 745-7111


Jefferson County Planning and Zoning
210 Courthouse Way, Ste. 170
Rigby, ID 83442
Phone (208) 745-9220

Central Fire District Office – (208) 745-6003