Fire District Commissioner Meeting
Opening Prayer: The opening prayer was offered by Mike Miller. Those present were: Commissioners Jim Deuel, Roger Anderson, Mike Miller, Gordon Ball, and Dallin Gambles; Assistant Fire Chief Carl Anderson; Battalion Chiefs Blaine Ker, Jim Kelly, Nic White, and Mitch Bingham. There were a couple of patrons present. Melanie Sullivan recorded the minutes.
Agenda Approval: Mike moved to accept the agenda as presented. Gordon seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous.
Minutes: The minutes were previewed by the commissioners previously. Jim moved to accept the minutes. Roger seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous.
Budget Review: Melanie reviewed the budget. We are under budget from where we would expect to be at this time of year.
Approval of Expenditures: Jim reviewed the expenditures and moved to accept $180,176.58 in expenditures. Mike seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous.
Patron Input (3 minute time limit): There was no patron input.
- Menan station progress –Mike reported on behalf of Dustin that occupancy should be granted on the 15th. They are finishing up little things. The construction industry is busy and some things are very slow to get in even though it was ordered long ago. More asphalt needs to be put down to address a drainage/mud problem.
- Ririe water tender delivery date: Carl and Blaine drove it home and it is being put into service soon. Carl reported that the hoses and nozzles are being ordered to use with on the truck.
- Soft cost budget for new Menan station: Mitch says that he has spent about half of the $8000 budget. He has ordered a table, filing cabinets, white boards, etc.
- Discussion regarding hiring of new chief: Dallin suggested moving Carl into the fire chief position and hiring a new assistant chief because Carl has served well as the interim fire chief. Jim asked Carl if he has rethought his withdrawal for consideration for the fire chief position during the previous round of interviewing. Carl said that he learned quite a bit from Chief Pope that he thought he could implement and now feels could comfortably fill the fire chief position. Dallin moved make Carl Anderson the new fire chief. Gordon seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous. The commissioners and Carl will now be looking to fill the position of assistant fire chief.
- Discussion of pay raise: There has been a suggestion made to raise the pay for the district leadership and volunteers. Dallin asked if the BC’s were putting in enough hours to justify a raise and asked the BC’s how many hours they spend a week working as battalion chief. This is difficult to determine because some weeks are busier than others and some stations are busier than others. This issue will continue to be discussed along with call coverage.
- Discussion of call coverage: The volume of calls at Station 1 is getting large enough that something needs to be done to ensure that all the calls can be covered. The commissioners are asking that the leadership come up with ideas for compensation that incentivizes volunteers to be on call. The discussion will be tabled until a committee can come up with ideas. The last Thursday in June will be the meeting for the committee. Roger and Jim will be the commissioners on the committee along with the BC’s and Carl. Dallin moved. Jim seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous.
- Discussion of Menan station open house: Carl said they will set a date and let the commissioners know.
- Discussion of High Country RC&D/open house: Carl explained that High Country RC&D would like to come to the Menan Buttes and talk about defensible space.
FIRE CHIEF REPORT: Carl has interviewed 3 people for the Assistant to the Fire Chief position and will soon have a decision.
Carl reminded the commissioners about the new open meeting laws that are effective July 1 and suggested training to make sure the district is in compliance with the law.
PIO REPORT: Courtney was not present to report.
Station 1. Jim: Vaughn ball and Tyler Rackham are going through the EMT class. 77 EMS calls and 10 fire calls.
Station 2. Blaine: 16 EMS and 5 fire calls. They are excited to get the new truck.
Station 3. Nic: 10 EMS calls and 2 fire calls. They have a local kid mowing the lawn for them.
Station 4. Mitch: Tucker smith completed the EMT course. 4 EMS calls 2 fire calls. Everyone is anxious to get into the new station.
COMMISSIONER REPORT: Dallin adjourned the meeting at 9:23.
Roger-EMS & Training/Gordon-Equipment /Dallin-Facilities/Jim-Budget/Mike-PR