Fire District Commissioner Meeting
Roger called the meeting to order at 8:00. Gordon offered the opening prayer. Those present were: Commissioners Jim Deuel, Roger Anderson, Mike Miller, Gordon Ball, and Dallin Gambles; Interim Fire Chief Carl Anderson; Battalion Chiefs Blaine Ker, Victor Gallegos filling in for Jim Kelly, Nic White, and Mitch Bingham. CFD Attorney Dennis Wilkinson was present. Melanie Sullivan recorded the minutes. There were various patrons present.
Agenda Approval: Jim moved to accept the agenda. Mike seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous.
Minutes: The minutes were reviewed previously by the commissioners. Mike moved to accept the minutes. Dallin seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous.
Budget Review: Melanie reviewed the budget. October is the first month of the new fiscal year and the expenditures are where we expect them to be for the first month.
Approval of Expenditures: Mike reviewed the expenditures and moved to accept them in the amount of $220,356.41, which included the second half of the Ririe Tender at $174,057. Gordon seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous.
Patron Input (3 minute time limit):
There was no patron input. The commissioners will consider including patron input at the end of the meeting.
- Lewisville property – Gordon Ball: Gordon reported that he attended the Lewisville city council meeting and found out that the Lewisville property will be donated to the CFD after the survey is done. Gordon reiterated that CFD will pay for half of the survey fee. The paperwork will not be done until the survey is done.
- Saw purchases: Carl got three bids. The lowest bid was Ron’s Tire. The two 25 inch chainsaws cost $435 each, two 20 inch saw cost $425 each and one concrete saw cost $1105. They have been purchased.
- Menan station progress – Dustin Stibal, Dome Technology project manager: The footings are in and the CMU block wall is started. He asked the commissioners some administrative questions, such as how bills should be submitted, if the commissioners would review the Rocky Mountain Power contract, about the Evidence of Title (Dennis will take care of that), if it is okay to use the hose bib already at the Menan Fire Station without fear of freezing, and if CFD has received Dome Technologies quality control manual. He also asked when the commissioners would prefer to discuss these kinds of things in commissioner meeting or have another meeting. The commissioners decided that they will meet earlier in the same week as the commissioner meeting so that the commissioners will have the information for the regular commissioner meeting.
Graham could not attend but he did send a letter with updates. The commissioners did not think that there was anything in the letter that needed to be discussed at that time.
- Christmas bonuses for personnel: The commissioners discussed the giving of Christmas bonuses. They will follow the same guidelines as last year. The bonuses will be given out on Dec 14th. Jim moved to give bonuses as was done last year. Mike seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous. The commissioner meeting in December will be at an earlier time to accommodate the Christmas party.
- Discuss executive session to go over Chief’s applications. Idaho Code 74-206 (1) (a) (b) personnel issue: Jim asked that the commissioners decide on a date to have an executive session where the commissioners can review the applications that have been submitted. Of the 14 applications, each commissioner will pick his top three and come ready to discuss their top three candidates. The final candidates will be interviewed. They decided on Thursday, Nov 16 at 7pm for this executive session.
Jason Averill expressed concern that 14 applicants was a low number of applications.
Jim moved to have an executive session on Nov 16 at 7 pm to review the fire chief applications. Gordon seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous.
Dallin suggested that when they get down to the top three, that they include more people in the committee to make the final decision.
FIRE CHIEF REPORT: Carl reported that on Thursday, Nov 16, the auditors will be in to do their yearly auditing.
Firehouse is the reporting system that CFD uses and had been purchased by ESO solutions, so we will see how that turns out.
The county emergency manager reimbursed CFD with emergency management money for some helmets and pagers.
Carl advertised for bids for snow removal.
The BCs are getting the SOP committee together.
Carl is also working on getting better internet for all the stations.
Madison fire is going to be putting on another EMS course. This course is about $800 compared to about $1200 through CEI.
During the Nov 13 county commissioner meeting, CFD and Hamer will be recognized by BLM for their help on the Deer Park fire.
Roger asked if the junior fire fighter program has made any progress. Carl said it is still on the radar and will be further addressed after the first of the year and a chief has been named.
Station 1. Victor reported that they made a list of tools that are needed for the trucks and put them on a rotation for replacement. They would like to replace the gas meter/monitors immediately. They should be replaced every 5 years. Carl will review with the BCs the gas meters and make recommendations at the next commissioner meeting. The commissioners would like to have all the stations make a tool replacement list.
They had 71 EMS calls and 11 fires calls. They have a new hire who is already an EMS.
Station 2. Blaine: 13 EMS calls, no fire calls. One fire fighter moved out of the area but they gained an EMS.
Station 3. Nic: 8 EMS and 3 fire calls. One fire call at 3:30 am. They have a new fire fighter and a new EMT.
Station 4. Mitch. 8EMS and 1 fire call. Morale is good. Everyone is excited about the new station.
Roger closed the meeting at 8:58. Jim moved to adjourn. Gordon seconded. The vote by Jim, Mike, Dallin, Roger, and Gordon was unanimous.
Roger-EMS & Training/Gordon-Equipment /Dallin-Facilities/Jim-Budget/Mike-PR