June 13, 2019

Fire District Commissioner Meeting

Opening Prayer: Mike called the meeting to order at 8:00. The opening prayer was offered by Dallin. Those present were: Commissioners Mike Miller, Jim Deuel, Dallin Gambles, Gordon Ball, and Roger Anderson; Fire Chief Carl Anderson; Battalion Chiefs Jim Kelly, Blaine Ker, and Mitch Bingham with Corey Albertson representing station 3.  Dennis Wilkinson, CFD attorney, was present as well as a couple of patrons.  Melanie Sullivan recorded the minutes.     

Approval of Agenda– ACTION ITEM: Roger moved to accept the agenda as written.  Gordon seconded. The vote by Mike, Jim, Dallin, Gordon, and Roger was unanimous. 

Approval of Minutes – ACTION ITEM:   The minutes to the May meetings were emailed to and reviewed by the commissioners previously.  Jim moved to approve the minutes.  Dallin seconded.  The vote by Mike, Jim, Dallin, Gordon, and Roger was unanimous. 

Budget Review:  Melanie reviewed the budget and we are where we would expect to be at this time of year.

Approval of Expenditures – ACTION ITEM:  Jim reviewed the expenditures and didn’t see anything out of line.  He moved to accept the expenditures in the amount of $57,165.21.  Dallin seconded.  The vote by Mike, Jim, Dallin, Gordon, and Roger was unanimous. 

OLD BUSINESS:

  1. Review bids for black top at Lewisville station – ACTION ITEM:  Carl got 3 bids for the black top: $10,895 from Premier paving, $14,100 from Asphalt Maintenance and $12,154 HK Contractor.  Jim moved to accept the bid from Premier in the amount of $10,895.  Dallin seconded.  The vote by Mike, Jim, Dallin, Gordon, and Roger was unanimous. 

NEW BUSINESS:

  1. Albuterol SOG – DISCUSSION ITEM:  Roger explained that he has been talking to Jared about the new modules and the albuterol administration protocol is a pretty safe.  Roger moved to accept the protocol as written.  Gordon seconded.  The vote by Mike, Jim, Dallin, Gordon, and Roger was unanimous. 

FIRE CHIEF REPORT:  Carl reported that Nic and Jared are in Portland taking classes on volunteer recruitment, retention and moving into paid call fire fighter training. 

They will be opening up the position for the battalion chief at Lewisville. 

They received a summons in a lawsuit from a bar in Ririe for shutting the bar down due to the building being unsafe.  This was actually shut down by a building inspector from the State of Idaho and not the Fire Chief because the inspector felt it was unsafe and should be examined by an engineer.  Dennis Wilkinson, CFD attorney, and ICRMP has been consulted. 

There were 140 EMS calls, 21 fire calls throughout the district. June has started out busy. 

Roger and Mike went to an Idaho Falls ambulance committee meeting to discuss options for ambulance services in Rigby.  Currently, the county pays $154,000 to Idaho Falls for the use of its ambulances.

Carl said that the volunteers are working on training modules to increase what the volunteers are able to do when they respond to a call. 

Battalion Chief input:  There was no BC input. 

ASSISTANT CHIEF REPORT: Nic was in Portland.

COMMISSIONER REPORTS:  Roger said that going ahead with the optional modules for the EMTs will be a good thing in the long term as the county grows.

Jim asked how well calls are being covered throughout the district.  Carl says that they have never missed a call.  Roger asked if the raises from last August has helped with retention and call responses.  The leadership feels that the raises have helped.  

Roger moved to adjourn at 8:23. Gordon seconded.  The vote by Mike, Jim, Dallin, Gordon, and Roger was unanimous. 

Roger-EMS & Training/Gordon-Equipment /Dallin-Facilities/Jim-Budget/Mike-PR